Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Put away the laptop and Tether Cables
The CAMRANGER is here!



The Camranger is a small light weight device that creates an ad-hoc Wi-Fi network to which an iPad, iPhone or iPod can connect. The free CamRanger iOS app then enables camera control without the need for a computer or existing Internet connection. The effective wireless range is 150'. The device is compatible with iOS 4.3 or later. It works with many Nikon and Canon DSLR Cameras. Image appear directly on your iPad, iPhone or iPad while remaining on the cameras CF or SD card. However, you have the option of downloading all or selected images directly to the iOS device.
You can shoot JPEGs or RAW or combinations, the Camranger can handle both formats.
I test the unit on a Nikon D800 and it transmitted the large files without a problem. To reduce download time I later switched to the Jpeg-Raw mode.
The only problems i encountered was getting connection between my iPad and the Camranger in my office. Once contacted and then taken into the office the unit worked fine. I was able to shoot directly from the camera or use the Camranger to control and shoot the camera remotely.
The Camranger worked as described and has freed me from the Tether cables and Laptop. Now with just my iPad and the Camranger I can view my images on a large screen as I shoot.

The one thing the Camrange did not do was plan for an easy and clean way to attach the unit to your camera. It does come with a small neopreme case that can hang somewhere. I found Tether Tools has several inexpensive devices that solve the problem. The Rock Solid Hot Shoe 1/4"-20 Adapter (Black) along with the Rock Solid PowrGrip 3 for Smartphones works for quick and easy attachment.

This one device is taking Tethered shooting to a whole new level.


No comments:

Post a Comment